Notary Public

Ivan Williams and Nicola Dowling are holders of the Diploma in Notarial Law and Practice (Dip.Not.L.) (FNPI) from the Institute of Notarial Studies and were appointed Notaries Public in 2019 for the City of Dublin and the administrative areas of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, South Dublin County Council, Fingal County Council along with the counties of Kildare, Wicklow and Meath. 

What is a Notary Public?

A notary public is a public officer who serves the public in non-contentious matters usually concerned with foreign or international business.

Notaries certify the execution in their presence of a deed, a contract or other writing. They can also verify some act or thing done in their presence. Among the things they do are:

  • Authenticating documents
  • Witnessing and proving signatures to documents
  • Administering oaths
  • Taking affidavits (other than for the courts in Ireland)
  • Drawing up Powers of Attorney and other legal documents customarily prepared by notaries public

Notaries Public can also take affidavits (though not for use in the courts in Ireland)

  • Take affirmations and declarations
  • Receive and make protests under mercantile law, and issue notarial certificates in respect of documents and persons.
  • Draw up Powers of Attorney and other legal documents customarily prepared by notaries public
How do I make an appointment with a Notary Public?

To make an appointment to see a notary, please email or contact us on 01-675 3000. You will need to bring the following documents with you;

  1. Proof of identification e.g. passport, driving licence, GNIB card;
  2. Proof of address e.g. utility bill dated within the last six months;
  3. Acknowledgement and data protection consent*

* Download the form and bring it to your appointment. The original completed declaration will be required.

What types of documents can be notarised?

The following documents may need to be notarised for production/presentation abroad:

  • Foreign adoption papers
  • Affidavits for use in foreign courts
  • Copies of state documents for use abroad e.g. driving licence, passports
  • Copies of professional or educational qualifications
  • International contracts
  • Powers of Attorney